Monday, July 30, 2007

Impact.

i arrive at her home,
expecting to stay but a few minutes and then go.
i have things to do and i don't know her well,
i will sit for a few moments to be polite.
she struggles to find words, she does not speak my language,
i struggle to find meaning in what she says.
suddenly the words begin to make sense,
her intentions are clear.
we smile and begin a dialogue,
a conversation orchestrated by her Father, my Father, our Father.
she moves about the kitchen, making food from her home, the land she calls Home,
she sings songs to me that are familiar, yet I don't know the words.
we communicate through broken phrases and wild gestures,
we communicate.
she offers me a peek into the small part of the world that is hers,
and the small part of the world that is mine will never be the same.
_______________________________________________

This probably won't make much sense to anyone else, but we visited the home of a family from the Dominican Republic over the weekend and I wanted to write about it : )

3 comments:

Jane said...

Lauren,
It makes perfect sense to me! Thank you for sharing. It is amazing to me, the anxiety that we feel when facing those who we think we wont understand,or wont understand us, either because they dont speak our language or because they are different from us in some way. When Jesus is the orchestrator of such an occasion, a crossing paths, at just the right time, there is understanding beyond comprehension. I love this writing. I especially like the end where you speak of the small peek into her world and the change that occurs in yours!
Thanks again Lauren

deAnn Alyse said...

Makes sense to me too. It is wild how God allows His kids to communicate even when words don't work. It's like a "heart/soul connection" that leads to the necessary communication. Thank you for writing about your experience. It's taken me for a ride to the a vault in my mind - a time or two when I was overseas and have had a similar experience. Thank you~ love, deAnn

deb said...

Lauren,
Your writing is like a special treat that I wait for. I never know what it will be about but I always know it will insightful, honest and without pretense.

I believe that God is smiling when He sees you write. You bring us into His presence as we identify with your journey.

I have had the incredible priviledge of watching this amazing transformation in your life.

In the midst of your honesty and ability to see the places that God is calling you into deeper growth, take time to remember where you were just over two years ago. The changes are remarkable. Not only have you moved in to the light of His love, you are sharing that light with others. Make sure that you are taking as much time to notice the beautiful changes He has brought forth in you...and how those changes are impacting the people around you.

If you ever need a verbal reminder.....call me.

Thank you,
Deb...........