Friday, June 5, 2009

thoughts on marriage...

I've been thinking a lot about marriage lately.

I have been a huge fan of the show Jon & Kate Plus 8 since the beginning, especially after I found out they were "neighbors". I saw the fighting and the harsh way that Kate sometimes talked to Jon, but I also saw the way they joked with each other and how Kate lit up when Jon said something clever or sweet. It seemed to me that they understood each other in a way that no one else could and that there was a deep level of respect between them. Maybe they just had really talented producers on the show that were able to portray this to gullible viewers like me, but I don't really believe that. I think that they absolutely have what it takes to mend the marriage and to fully glorify God in the process. I'm praying for it.

My friends from church just got married last weekend. They are a fantastic couple who both seem individually secure in themselves, and unstoppable when together. That is the beauty of marriage, especially when the couple's desire is to glorify God with it. God moves and works in all of us and can do unfathomably awesome things through our lives, but two surrendered people are a force to be reckoned with.

Jamie and I have been married for 2 years and I am amazed at how my understanding of marriage has grown in that short amount of time. I have more respect for Jamie as my husband than I've ever had for anyone. I don't think that a few years ago I would have imagined that I would rather spend an hour in Home Depot with my husband than absolutely anything else without him. In every other relationship I have been in, I gave of myself and took of them, and when it was over I had absolutely no idea who I was or who I should be. I now can give completely of myself, take of him and come out more myself than I was before, and more of who I've always wanted to become.

I know that many marriages are not the safety net that I live in. In fact, many are true battle grounds. I am beyond blessed. I wish that everyone could experience what I've been given. I believe that it is worth wanting, working towards and spending years praying for.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

check this blog a friend of mine referred me to on Jon and Kate...
learningmylines.blogspot.com...lots
of other good posts there as well. Enjoyed your thoughts.

JDWeirich said...

Now I know what you are talking about (referring to Facebook message). Well, thank you!!

While Steph and I are not perfect, we have learned to rely on Christ in all we do. We have a unique story because of how things fell in place, us meeting, etc.

One thing I am learning about marriage is it is more than a feeling. It is a choice. I can choose to BE LOVABLE on any given day. I can also choose how to love Steph on any given day.

Marriage is a journey...not a final destination. We must continually grow.